Here’s what makes Weekday Ministry Kindergarten a unique learning experience for ALL children:
SPACE TO LEARN ~ Weekday Ministry Kindergarten occupies the best classroom space in the community! In a sun-filled room there are separate and distinct learning areas for every part of the day! Students have plenty of room to learn, explore and have fun!
SMALL CLASS SIZE ~ At a maximum enrollment of 14-16 students planned for the 2015-2016 school year, it is well below the typical teacher to student ratio found in most kindergarten classrooms. This allows for more differentiated instruction, small groups and individualized attention that can’t be found in most public school environments.
TECHNOLOGY ~ Parents of Weekday Ministry made it possible to bring a state-of-the-art SMART Board technology system to the Kindergarten Suite! It is used daily to impart many of the lessons traditionally taught using white boards, chalk boards or bulletin boards. Now children can participate in the learning process in so many ways! A desk-top with a touchscreen, along with iPads makes this digital classroom complete.
CURRICULUM ~ Guided by Common Core Standards, and the Georgia Early Learning Developmental Standards (GELDS), the Weekday Kindergarten curriculum includes everything a public school kindergarten is required to have. We have incorporated SMART Phonics as the primary language arts and reading program, and Everday Math is the foundation for math instruction. Our children have additional enrichment through music, art, Spanish and science, as well as movement.
ACCREDITATION ~ Other than public schools and the local private schools such as Walker and Mount Paran, Marietta FUMC Weekday Ministry is the only AdvancEd/SACS (Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) accredited Preschool/Kindergarten program in the community. That sets us apart from other programs which are relying solely on internal resources for school improvement direction.
PROGRESS REPORTS ~ Just like their counterparts in public and private schools in the area, students at Weekday Kindergarten receive regular progress reports, tied directly to the Common Core Standards, and includes elements from both Cobb and Marietta School systems. This helps parents identify their child’s strengths and weaknesses, and helps guide instruction in the classroom as well. You’ll know if your child is ready for the next step in their educational journey.
STAFF ~ Our Kindergarten team of Kelly Bachman and Joa Acton are a powerhouse of experience, who have implemented a kindergarten program worthy of praise from parents in public and private schools alike. Kelly Bachman, former Weekday Director and long-time educator, is our lead teacher along with Joa Acton, a former public and private educator. In combination they bring with them extensive expertise, while providing that extra something every parents wants in a Kindergarten teacher….love, caring and concern.
Weekday Ministry’s half-day kindergarten features everything and more that a full-day program has to offer:
- large group instruction
- centers for small group and individualized instruction
- weekly specials of music, movement, Spanish, science, and art
- daily recess and lunch (children bring a lunch)
- daily spiritual instruction and a monthly Chapel time
- lower teacher to student ratio with two full time degreed teachers to a maximum of 16 students
Throughout the year, students in Weekday Kindergarten will receive instruction in these educational categories to meet state and national standards:
- Reading/Literacy: demonstrating concepts of print, upper/lowercase letters, rhyming, consonant letter sounds, short and long vowel sounds, high-frequency words, reading text with purpose and understanding, identifying ideas and details
- Language & Writing: identifying and producing text types (narrative, informative, explanatory and opinion), printing upper and lowercase letters, punctuation, capitalization, spelling phonetically
- Speaking & Listening: participating in collaborative conversation
- Math: Number Algebraic thinking—number names and sequence, addition, subtraction and word problems; Geometry—identifying 2-D and 3-D shapes, analyzing shapes
- Science: investigating earth, life and physical science concepts, applying scientific knowledge
- Social Studies: national holidays, national symbols, maps, globes, states geographic locations, identifying and learning how money is used to purchase goods and services
– Come for a tour! Call us at 770-429-7800 ext. 7842, or e-mail us NancyTatnall@mariettafumc.org.