Our church offers numerous Bible study programs geared for people at various stages of their Christian walk, including intensive studies of scripture, in addition to topical classes that help us to live as Christian disciples in the world around us.
We offer many ways to grow your faith through small group Bible studies for men and women. We offer long-term studies that go deep into learning more about who God is calling us to be, as well as short-term courses throughout the year.
WINTER AND SPRING 2020 STUDIES
Dive deeper into scripture, the life of faith and community with new studies this fall at MFUMC. Register below.
Men of the Church Bible Study
BEGINS WED MARCH 11 / 6:30PM / LIBRARY
All men of the church are invited to join a new small group Bible study beginning in 2020. Journey through the Bible together from the beginning along with the prophets and poets for eight weeks. This is a discussion based study that incorporates the experience of the participant along with the traditions of our faith.
Facilitated by Forrest Cate and members of the group
Storytelling: The Narrative of Faith
BEGINS WED JAN 8 / 6:30PM / 4 WEEKS / Hospitality Room
In spite of his ups and downs, recorded in Genesis 37-50, we read that “God was with Joseph.” Join Rev. Lori Ethridge for a four-week course loosely based on the twists and turns of Joseph’s journey from slave to prime minister. This is not a typical Bible study, but rather a time to examine, record and share your own story, highlighting the times in your life when God has been undeniably present. If you have ever wondered if you should write a memoire, this is a safe space to start.
Class size limited to 8 participants
BEGINS WED JAN 15 / 10 AM or 6:30PM / 6 WEEKS / ROOM 305
Join us as we explore with Bob Goff what happens when Love Does. This study is light and fun, unique and profound, and will inspire you to see what can happen in your life when love takes action, just like Jesus’ love did. We will read Goff’s book, discuss related scripture, and discover the ways in which God’s love and grace is at work in our lives. Cost is $10.
Led by Rev. Brian Smith
FINANCIAL PEACE UNIVERSITY
BEGINS WED JAN 15 / 6:30PM / WEDNESDAYS / 9-Weeks / $99 per family
The new year is the perfect time to learn how to take control of your money, how to create (and stick to) a budget, save for emergencies, overcome debt, and make a plan for the future. Doesn’t that sound peaceful? Dave Ramsey’s proven program will teach you how to win with money through life-changing class sessions, online tools and resources, and group accountability. Register at www.mariettafumc.org/fpu
Facilitated by Katie and Wilson Glover
The Journey: Traveling with Jesus to the Cross
BEGINS WED MARCH 4 / 6:30PM / WEDNESDAYS / 6-Weeks
In this Lenten study, we will journey with Jesus as he makes his way to the cross at Gethsemane. Through Scripture, reading, and discussion, this study will examine Jesus’ words and actions, as well as the locations of pivotal moments in his ministry in route to crucifixion and what these things teach us about our own journey of discipleship.
Taught by Rev. Brian Smith and Rev. Lori Ethridge
Children’s Bible Study
Beginning Wednesday, January 8 / 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. / Fuse Box, Room 316
All 2nd – 5th graders are invited to join our Wednesday night Bible study. In addition to scripture, there will be games, skits, and music. Drop in anytime or join us weekly. Child care is also available for younger children on the 1st floor of building B if parents are in adult classes or choir.
- Evening Women’s Bible Study: How do you stay calm in the midst of chaos? Mark your calendars for this once-a-month study of Paul’s letter to the church at Philippi where we will use various books, podcasts and blogs to learn how to set aside your worries and be anxious for nothing. No registration is needed.
- Mondays once a month from 7:30-8:30pm | Facilitated by Rev. Lori Ethridge.
- Younger Women’s Bible Study: Join this lively group of “younger” women in their 20s-40s as they read and discuss Sarah Bessey’s new book, Out of Sorts: Making Peace With an Evolving Faith. In this book, Bessey teaches us how to be as comfortable with uncertainty as we are with solid answers. And as we learn to hold questions in one hand and answers in the other, we discover new depths of faith that will remain secure even through the storms of life. No registration needed.
- Thursdays | Ongoing | Begins Thursday, January 9 | 9:30-10:30 a.m. | Parlor| Facilitated by Laura Aikens
- Carol Boone Thursday Morning Ladies Bible Study: Join this group of women as they study “An Unexplainable Life. Recovering the Wonder and Devotion of the Early Church” by Erica Wiggenhorn. A study of Acts 1-12.
- Thursdays | September 5- November 14 | | 9:30-11:30 | Parlor | Facilitated by Martha Lee Sanders & Jennifer Coile